Thursday, March 20, 2008

They've nailed it!

After reading "Generation Y: They've arrived at work with a new attitude,"I have come to the conclusion that someone has figured us out. Almost everything in the article is true for me with the exception of the bullet point: "Change, change, change"
They don't like to stay too long on any one assignment. This is a generation of multitaskers, and they can juggle e-mail on their BlackBerrys while talking on cellphones while trolling online. And they believe in their own self worth and value enough that they're not shy about trying to change the companies they work for.
Although this is true, (most of us could multi-task such as this), I personally want to find a job that I can stay long-term at. I would have to agree that we do believe in our self worth. I feel like my experiences here at Sam Houston State University, ie. working at The Houstonian, has been an insight into the print world. I feel almost ready enough to go out there are get that job that will suit me best.

This is another point that the article brought up:
After witnessing the financial insecurity that beset earlier generations stung by layoffs and the dot-com bust, today's newest entrants into the workforce are generally savvy when it comes to money and savings. They care about such benefits as 401(k) retirement plans.
These are the issues that I think about all the time. I hope that I will be able to find a job that offers benefits and 401(k) retirement plans. I feel like my parents have been preaching that these are the most important aspects of job planning.
"An environment where creativity and independent thinking are looked upon as a positive is appealing to people my age. We're very independent and tech savvy."
- Katie Patterson, an assistant account executive at Edelman Public Relations in Atlanta.
Patterson is true in this aspect. We do feel independent! I am excited to see how this generation slowly seeps into the workforce.

No comments: